After 5 months of information gathering, discussion, and a resolution concerning the membership standards for youth in the Scouting program, over 1,000 Scouting delegates cast their vote to accept a new membership policy for the BSA today.
The policy that was accepted is below.
Youth membership in the Boy Scouts of America is open to all youth who meet the specific membership requirements to join the Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Sea Scout, and Venturing programs. Membership in any program of the Boy Scouts of America requires the youth member to (a) subscribe to and abide by the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law, (b) subscribe to and abide by the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty to God), and (c) demonstrate behavior that exemplifies the highest level of good conduct and respect for others and is consistent at all times with the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law. No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.
The resolution will take effect on January 1, 2014.
On behalf of the French Creek Council we would like to thank everyone that asked questions and provided input into this discussion over the last few months. The passion for Scouting was evident on both sides of the discussion. For over 103 years Scouting's focus has always been on serving youth and that is what we will continue to do in the French Creek Council, BSA.
Below is a video recorded after the National vote from past National BSA President Rex Tillerson, (CEO of Exxon Oil)
French Creek Council
- Council News
- Spring Training Opportunities
- Celebrate Your Eagle
- Wilderness First Aid
- On-Line Youth Applications
- Custaloga Town Scout Reservation Deer Creek Crossing
- Jamboree Shoulder Patches
- 2018 Council Philmont Contingent
- French Creek Council Restructure Announcement
- Eagle Scout Save The Date
- Scouting Works Join Today
- Lions, a pilot program for kindergarten boys
- Like to ride Motorcycles?
- PA Act 153 of 2014:
- Pinewood Derby Track Rental
- Silver Beaver Nomination Information
- BSA and United Way
- Scouts are more successful
- Venturing in French Creek Council
- Council Wants and Needs List
- Historic Trails
- About French Creek Council
- Media Center
- Online Charter Renewal