French Creek Council eNews
To Your Email or Phone

Oliver Perry Events

Thursday, Jun 7th
Thursday, Jun 14th
Thursday, Jul 5th
Thursday, Jul 12th
Community Service

2015 Calendar Year Update:

A big thank you goes out to all Scouts, Scouters, Parents, and Family members who participated in service projects throughout 2015. Our goal this year as a District was to complete 10,000 hours of service. We wrapped up the year at 8,715 hours. For comparison, over the past 3 years the district has averaged 10,500 hours/year. To put that in terms of the impact on the community...that's the equivalent of $927,760 worth of work over the past 4 years!. Scouting benefits greatly from the positive actions in the community, and service is one of the simplest ways we achieve that.

We'd like to recognize the Top pack and Top troop/crew for their efforts in serving their community: Pack 104 and Troop 9. Thank you to these Units for their excellent example! There will be a special presention at the Scout Breakfast to be held in August. Honorable mention should be made for Pack 59, Pack 37, Troop 37, and Troop 57 who kept pace with this year's leaders.

Looking Forward:

As Scouts and Scouters we are expected to "Do our duty to God and our Country" and "To help other people at all times." One of the ways we do this is through giving service. Scouts complete a minimum of 13 hours of community service prior to their Eagle Project. Through their Eagle Project they organize others to provide an average of 138 hours of service to their community (based on 2014).

In addition, many of our Units perform other service projects throughout the year. These projects, as well as Eagle Projects, should be submitted through the Service Hours Website. This allows the French Creek Council to track our impact in the community and counts towards all levels of the Journey to Excellence Award (Council, District, and Unit). For Units to achieve the Gold level of service they need to participate in 6 service projects for Troops (4 for Packs) and record the hours on the Service Hours Website. Don't Forget: Units must complete at least one service project for their Chartering Organization!

So how are doing as a District in serving our community? For 2015 we completed a total of 8,715 hours (based on submitted hours). Approximately 35% of these hours came from 21 Eagle Projects. The other 65% comes from additional service provided by our Packs, Troops, Teams, and Crews.

Our goal for the Oliver Perry District in 2016 is to reach 9,000 hours of service. With approximately 3 hours from each Scout and Scouter, not including parents and other participants, we can achieve this goal. Remember to include everyone who participates in a project organized by the Scout unit. This includes any non-scouters as well.

We will again recognize units for their service to their individual communities for 2016. Service hours must be submitted online to count. I look forward to another great year of service.

January 1, 2013